Saturday 30 October 2010

Tree

 

In sunlight I wallow
From Light life is given me
I stretch and give worship
My feet are cool in the Earth

In a meadow I stand
Here to bask in sunlight
I reach up to the sky
My many arms sway in heady breeze

I stand for centuries
A sentinel to the ways of man
In ages gone and future spawn
I am witness in life to be and gone

The grass surrounds me
As the wild plants in spring
of bluebells and buttercups
there they abound around me

There are chicks in their nests
Mother bird tends to their needs
I shelter them from fiends
Hide them from those who seek

The bees, the bees
They buzz around on buzzy business
Looking for nectar from the bluebells
They oblige, and the sound is bliss

The squirrel takes refuge up top
Cheeky scamp that jumps and scrabbles
His nuts he seeks to hide
I oblige with knotted bark

A man child wanders into the magic
A look of wonder on its face
It sniffs the air, and sighs
A rest it thinks, sit awhile man child

Take stock of nature in its prime
Take this back to the others
Keep the wonder for your future
Keep it for the pleasure and for nature

These idle times may never last
Believe in the natural world
It will comfort you in older age
A sunny meadow for thee in pasture

A rabbit wanders into view
It takes one look and jumps
The man child see a cotton tail
The rabbit gone to ground

I live in sun and sleep in darkness
In winters grip I scare in starkness
In black and white I seem to creep
A ghostly tale with headless sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment